Recently my husband and I snuck away for a quick weekend getaway to Denver taking advantage of the direct flights offered on Frontier Airlines from Pensacola.
Guess we were test driving empty nest life early since our son’s high school graduation is later this month.
Last year I signed up for several travel alert services that notify me weekly of dirt cheap airfares from Pensacola around the world. It got me thinking about booking travel in general.
I love to travel and I’m not very picky about location (except it has to be warm!) but it’s difficult to plan a trip when you don’t know certain key items of information such as:
- What’s your city of origination?
- What’s your destination?
- Do you have any special requests for the flight?
- What about travel timelines?
Similarly, it is difficult for Amanda and me to plan a client’s estate and succession plan without knowing some key background information such as:
Where are you starting from (your “city of origin” so to speak)?
- Who are your family members?
- What do you own?
- Who owns your assets with you?
- Who are the beneficiaries on your financial accounts?
- Do you have any existing estate and succession planning documents you’ve already executed?
What are you trying to accomplish (your “destination” so to speak)?
- Who do you want making financial and medical decisions for you if you become incapable of making them for yourself during your lifetime?
- Who do you want to inherit your assets?
Do you have any special requests regarding your plan?
- Should a trust be established for younger, incapacitated, or spendthrift recipients?
- Who should raise your kids if something happens to you?
- Do you want your assets to avoid probate when you die?
- Do you want to minimize legal fees, expenses, and time delays as much as possible after you die?
These are all issues that we explore during your Family Succession Strategy Session. These strategy sessions are private consultations designed to explore and custom craft your unique Estate and Family Succession Plan to meet your specific planning desires.
At the risk of carrying this travel analogy a bit too far, think of the attorneys in our office as your personal travel concierge, crafting the perfect “trip” on your timeline and fitting your budget.
Another popular planning option for younger clients just getting started with their estate and succession planning journey is our group estate planning workshops. You will leave these cost effective workshops with a fully prepared BASIC estate plan for yourself.
Our Denver trip was awesome and no, I won’t share with you our everything we did on our trip. Suffice it say that one evening was spent in our hotel room eating junk food and watching bad movies on TV. When in Rome (or in this case, Denver), right? Ha ha
Kristen “Parents Are Allowed to Have Fun Too” Marks